Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

My setup WORKS WELL with adapter, i should investigate more properly, but that can do after few weeks and let you know from my expirience. I was worried when i read this community after i bough...

intel i-7 8086k overclocked 5.0Ghz
16GB
Asus Z370
1080 ti overclocked 1.96 ghz

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"Updating" the main setup solved the problem. Cant say if its a compatibility of performance issue (asked to Vive support).

Old setup:

- ASUS Prime B250 Plus

- i5 7400

- 8 Go DDR4 2400 GSKILL

New setup:

- MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus

- i7 9700K

- 16 Go DDR4 2666 GSKILL

Wigig still on PCIe1x + Gen3. Tested on Fallout 4 VR.

In my case I had an Asrock Z97M anniversary mainboard, i7 47xxK, 32GB, RTX 2080 TI. Just one PCIe x16 and 2x PCIe x4 but only one PCIe x4 was available where I put the Intel WiGig card.

So I had no real lag but really pixellated.

I tried every solution offered here but eventually I replaced the mainboard with an Asus Maximus Hero X and put the WiGig card in the PCIe slot closest to the CPU. This definately solved the issue. Finally. No Glitches and pixelation and no lag anymore.

I think HTC could warn people up front and be clear what the minimum requirements are.

For Christmas my wife gave me the wireless adapter to go along with my Vive Pro and it spun off a series of bug hunts. While the Vive Pro worked seamlessly on my previous system, the wireless adapter just gave it fits. I final caved and went all in on an upgrade. 9900K, MSI 2080, Gigabyte Auros Master Z390… I figured this would solve any horsepower issues.

Once I had it built and stable I had great visual performance….. except an annoying stutter every 10-15 degrees of head rotation. As long as I remained still everything was gorgeous. If I looked around the little hitch popped up no matter what.

I went through every post I could find and tried everything under the sun. Different ports, rebuilds, beta drivers, old drivers. Every single time same exact thing.

Last week I underwent some surgery which required bed rest and finally this weekend I felt ok enough to sit around in the chair for an hour here or there. I went back through everything. I finally found that if I placed the wireless adapter in my x8 port everything went away. Sadly, that cut the 2080 back to x8 as well. If I reduced graphics quality everything ran fine. I tested this back and forth and found it did “solve” the problem.

Tonight, I tried out the latest BIOS beta which I somehow missed back in January. Well I probably skipped it as it is beta and the only note posted on their site was “Support 32GB UDIMM”. Since that didn’t matter, I probably just saw it and forgot.

Well….. F8e bios to add UDIMM support also seems to address some PCI lane mapping, compatibility, whatever issue as well. Now my wireless adapter works smooth as silk no matter what slot the wireless adapter is in.

I’ve rolled back my OS to prior to this bug hunt quest removing every other tweak I made, and I’ve found nothing else at all impacts the jitter issue. It is now smooth as silk in a few games I’ve tried

Ok, so after much frustration I figured the bottleneck was my CPU although it met the requirements (i5 6500). I upgraded to a i7 7700k and now everything seems to work well. I'm running at 200% resolution and hardly have any frame drop. I really think the stated minimum requirements are misleading and need to be bumped up as to set correct expectations. But even after all this... I'm very happy with the wireless VR experience :)

I now have:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero (wireless card inserted in top slot closest to CPU)

i7 7700k with a Mugen 5 PCGH cooler

16GB DDR4 RAM

Asus ROG NVIDIA 1800Ti

Samsung 950pro NVME ssd