Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

wrote:

The Pro does have an integrated amp - the gain of that amp is controlled independently of SteamVR/Windows and is managed by the volume control interface on the left earpiece.      can you please verify that the volume drop you reported is still present when both the HMD's amp is set to maximum output (as set by pressing the volume up button on the HMD) and the volume is maxed out at the global, device, and application layer of windows? 

We're still evaluating the deployment of the update currently hosted in the beta channel. As stated previously, some of this will require some optimization/integration from the larger developer community. If you'd like to contribute a system report for evaluation, I'm happy to send you the instructions to do so. As a reminder, you're free to use external headphones with the Pro if you have a pair that are more towards your preference - 

I am writing to confirm that volume is at 100% everywhere including the button on the earpiece, which also moves the Windows main volume to 100%. Music volume within the application, for example, Audioshield, is also set at 100%.

We are not crazy customers asking the impossible. YOU GUYS SET THE MARK WITH THE DAS. Is it unreasonable to expect at least the same level of performance as the previous generation device? This gets me so upset after HTC's FAILURE to ever fix the grey-out issue with the original Vive, I really don't want to go through the same fiasco again with no fix at the end of the tunnel. I don't want to send back the Vive Pro but I can see we're heading for another HTC joke of support. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's about time that HTC admits that this is a hardware issue. If they could "fix" this with software/firmware, they would have done it by now. It's also about time they tell us whether we'll be receiving replacement headphones and/or a partial refund (at least 100$ considering how good the headphones were ADVERTISED to be).

wrote:

I agree.  So many people will be approaching the deadline for returns soon.  Yet, still no solution.  HTC should consider that a partial refund for defective headphones would probably cost them less than having to process all the returned units.  Or at least promise a replacement for the headphones before it's too late.

For the few people that claimed decent audio, have you tried listening to rap or rock music with the Vive Pro?  Does it actually sound anywhere near the Deluxe Audio Strap?

I like to play Audioshield and listen to Tool and I like it loud. No, the DAS could go louder than what I want and the new hardware cannot even get as loud as I want.

I had an interesting night on the Vive Pro and may have discovered something that will help a little for those of us annoyed with our $800 AM radio audio sections. Hey HTC, the dollar store called and they want their amps back because you're giving them a bad name.

1) First I checked for firmware updates and even though I did one the other day when we were first told that there was a SteamVR fix in the works, I found there was another one available so I installed it. I don't know for sure how to find what version I have, but this seams to be the relevant section of the Sytem Report:

Device 1 - LHR-4F755F56 Headset VIVE_Pro MV HTC
Firmware: 1518508151 watchman@runner-watchman 2018-02-13 FPGA 531(2.19/0/2) BL 1513896911
Hardware Revision: product 133 rev 2.0.6 lot 2000/0/0 0
Hardware Id: 0x85020006
Watchman Firmware: 1518508151 / 1518508151 (2018-02-13)
Watchman FPGA: 531 / 531 (2.19)
Camera Firmware: 12884967859 / 12884967859 (Version: 03.01.1B3 Date: 2018.Jan.11)
Display Firmware: 2105635 / 2105635
Display FPGA: 6 / 6
Display Bootloader: 1056771 "0x0000000000102003"
Display HW Revision: 2 "0x2"
Audio Firmware: 6 / 6
Audio Bridge Firmware: 288 / 288
Image Bridge Firmware: 9 / 9
VSync to Photons: 0.0004
Display Frequency: 90
User IPD (m): 0.0677
Current Universe ID: 1518395658
Previous Universe ID: 0
Dongle Version: 0DC3C5E50B Version: 1461100729 / 1461100729 (2016-04-19)
Dongle Version: 67ADBB0807 Version: 1461100729 / 1461100729 (2016-04-19)

2) FYI, I am still set for the beta version of SteamVR. Didn't want to run the risk of reverting the improvement.

3) I went again into the Properties for the Vive Pro Multimedia device and turned on the Bass Boost, +12db at 80Hz. I also turned on the Loudness Equalization, this seems to help also, even though my ancient understanding of what a Loudness control is supposed to do says it would be null when the volume was all the way up - don't care.

4) Of course I had the volume all the way up on the SteamVR overlay (System button) menu and on the Windows volume control/HMD button and in my game, in this case TheWaveVR.

*** ---> 5) While listening to the DJ in TheWaveVR, I wanted to do something requiring keyboard/mouse. I double-pressed the System button to display the Vive camera view. It attenuated the sound. I changed my mind and decided not to do whatever it was, so having done nothing with the keyboard/mouse, I double-pressed the System button again to get rid of the camera view. It restored the volume setting BUT it was noticeably louder! Still not where I want it but louder. I would say it approximately makes up for what is lost by turning on the bass boost.

So all you good people having the audio problem, check for another firmware update, try the loudness control in addition to the bass boost, and try turning the camera view on and off again. I have since found that if I do this even in Steam Home the chirping birds get louder. Like I said, it is still not where I want it but it's another notch closer. Quite simply, with the DAS I could turn it up louder than I wanted and with the Vive Pro we are still fighting to get it loud enough. Don't get me wrong, it is probably where most people would say it is loud but they are probably not old hippies who like blasting loud rock & roll (heck, even the EDM they play in TheWaveVR sounds better LOUDER - the DAS could go louder than I wanted it).

:smileysad: Now, the bad news is that twice in messing with this stuff the sound has got messed up in Windows. One time I could here it quickly alternating between my speakers and my HMD. Both times, the speaker icon in the system tray was like visibly "vibrating" between quiet and loud. When I tried to go into the properties dialog for Playback Devices, I could not get there. The menu simply locked up - not the whole computer or explorer.exe. I had to reboot Windows to get it back to normal.

There are only two people who have claimed improved sound after the firmware update. But more importantly, you claim to have had to use a rubber band to force the headphones onto your ears for better bass. I agree that the springs in the headphones should be stronger. That would also fall under a hardware issue.

It's also important to note that I have read and watched almost all the reviews for the Vive Pro. Not a single one claimed that it had good sound. Unfortunately, most of them said they had no comment because they weren't audiophiles. However, you don't have to be one to notice a complete lack of bass. All the other reviewers confirmed what most of us are hearing.

I will not be adding a rubber band around my headphones, and I know I'm not alone on that.

Considering how long HTC had to develop the Vive Pro, they should've tested the sound quality.

Again. HTC. Replacements or refund? Personally, I would prefer replacements so that I can enjoy a complete, intact audio/video experience, as the Vive Pro was advertised to be.

The fact that we're getting no support here other than "feel free to use your own headphones", is just about reason enough for me to not want to give another cent to this company, and return this unit for a refund.

For anyone that bought at Gamestop, they may be difficult about you returning it, but if you demonstrate it's a widespread defect, they will allow it.  I own a succesful e-commerce business, and would never in a million years consider it an option to ignore my customer base for this long with such a major issue. My customers would be livid.

The resolution is definitely a plus, but with the sound about 25% lower than what I set it at on my  DAS when the volume is maxed, it definitely cancels out any benefit, and for $800, I better come out in the positive.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Odyssey? I've read mixed reports about the controller tracking issues. I'm wondering if it might be a replacement since it has the same resolution as the Pro.

TylerDax, for me the quality is improved a bit by the patch, but the volume is the issue. Are you able pump up the volume to levels you could on the DAS or any cheap $20 headphones from Target? Also, for me the volume seems lower in games like Skyrim for instance, than playing music through windows.