Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

The fact that we're getting no support here other than "feel free to use your own headphones", is just about reason enough for me to not want to give another cent to this company, and return this unit for a refund.

For anyone that bought at Gamestop, they may be difficult about you returning it, but if you demonstrate it's a widespread defect, they will allow it.  I own a succesful e-commerce business, and would never in a million years consider it an option to ignore my customer base for this long with such a major issue. My customers would be livid.

The resolution is definitely a plus, but with the sound about 25% lower than what I set it at on my  DAS when the volume is maxed, it definitely cancels out any benefit, and for $800, I better come out in the positive.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Odyssey? I've read mixed reports about the controller tracking issues. I'm wondering if it might be a replacement since it has the same resolution as the Pro.

Odyssey is great as far as the display is concerned. Also very comfortable. But the Vive tracking system is king of the hill. So if all you do is seated VR, Odyssey is a great value. I wouldn't call it "tracking issues". The Vive just has a superior design in that area. Too bad they can't seem to execute at 100%. Seems like they have at least one brilliant engineer, some good support guys, and a moron making decisions. How could they really not foresee that customers would expect performance >= previous model?

Did anybody try the thing with the camera, or did I lose everybody with the long post?

I have had mixed results after the initial firmware from the steam vr beta patch. Some nights it sounds great and is so loud I have to lower the steam vr sound to around 80% to avoid hurting my ears. Other nights, I can max the sound in steam vr, (and headphones button all the way up) and sound does not hurt my ears. 

There is definitely something disabling the fix at some point, it somewhat seems like if you boot up or start steam vr w the pro audio selected, it doesn't load properly. If you try switching to hdmi vive pro audio, restart steam vr, or computer even, then switch back pro multimedia audio and double check all volume is set to max, sometimes that gets it working louder again.

It's really hard to pinpoint, but there is definitely still something weird going on, and that's likely why some people are saing it's improved and others are not. 

I will try to do some more testng, but really don't have a ton of time to enjoy VR as it is, so I tend to rather play and try to enjoy my Vive Pro, instead of sitting there spending time testing.

Hopefully this helps and we all see a fix soon.

wrote:

Thing with the camera?

Yeah, after the SteamVR update, firmware update(s), etc, turn on the bass boost (and I recommend the Loudness Equalization as well) and go into a game with some sound (even Steam Home with the chirping birds), crank the volume, then do the double-press System Button to turn on the HMD camera view and then double-press again to turn camera view off and see if you get a volume boost. I do.

When I turn on the camera, I hear the sound attenuate and the mic comes on and I can hear through the mic. When I turn off the camera and it raises the sound back to the un-attenuated level, it brings it back louder than it was originally, and the bass boost/loudness are still in effect.

Well I seemed to have somehow fixed the volume issue. I'm guessing what did it was turning on Loudness Equalization in the Windows Playback settings for the device. My guess is that this is overriding some volume attenuation occuring at the system level with the drivers for the device. I can't speak to the quality, but it does seem to be about the same as my DAS headphones now.

It's really sad that I've managed to figure out a possible fix just from tinkering, but that the engineers from HTC haven't managed to figure out recommended solutions yet.

wrote:

Well I seemed to have somehow fixed the volume issue. I'm guessing what did it was turning on Loudness Equalization in the Windows Playback settings for the device. My guess is that this is overriding some volume attenuation occuring at the system level with the drivers for the device. I can't speak to the quality, but it does seem to be about the same as my DAS headphones now.

It's really sad that I've managed to figure out a possible fix just from tinkering, but that the engineers from HTC haven't managed to figure out recommended solutions yet.

Help This Company... Hell The Customers...  IPD knob on my Pro headset spins pretty freely...

OK I fixed it again. It was Loudness Equalization. It showed as enabled when I went into properties via the selection of (Speakers - Vive Pro  Multimedia Audio), which was what I believed the correct setting to be. However, when I turned camera on and off as suggested above, it selected a different playback device which was (Vive Pro - Nvidia High Definition Audio). I went into the settings for this and selected Loudness Equalization and the volume went up dramatically. In fact I had to turn it down not to hurt my ears (as it should be with any good headphones).  

Are you listening HTC techs? The customers are having to try to fix yours issues because you don't seem to want to bother or do even the most rudimentary customer support.

Here's an idea. . . have some support people go work at Disney or another company with and decent sense of support for a while and learn the basics. Customer Service and PR 101....Don't just ignore a big issue.