Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

That's interesting. I suspect you had to manually select device because of which one is designated Default. I have a regular set of speakers designated Default Device (for Playback). I have Vive Pro Multimedia as Default Communications device. Mine remembers the Loudness Equalization setting (and Bass Boost) but I have to do the camera on/off trick every time I restart SteamVR.

In SteamVR Settings, I have "When SteamVR is Active" set playback device to Vive Pro Multimedia and when SteamVR is exited set playback device to regular speakers.

I get a noticeable increase in volume from doing the camera on/off trick.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

Quick update: We are still investing reports of poor audio quality and are thankful to everybody who was able to provide system logs. I will reach out to users who posted in this thread over the weekend on a 1:1 basis in case they would also like to submit System Reports for inspection - they are very helpful in determining software and hardware compatibilities that require further attention. The update published to the beta branch is still under evaluation and may not be representative of whichever update ultimately is pushed to the public branch. It is not an EQ based patch. 

HTC by far the worst customer support experience I have ever had in my life...

I would prefer a full refund...

wrote:

Valve has released their audio quality update into the release branch for SteamVR

Thank you,

-John C

From Reddit

Robert9674:

This was the update they released in steamVR beta. They just released it to the official steamVR build. It didn’t fix the sound in beta so I’m not sure why they are releasing it to the official build. I guess they want to make it seem they are fixing something.

Having just got my vive Pro and I have only tried out 2 games using it. With the updated firmware and steam vr beta. The 1st one was the blu. The sound was terrible and at max volume the headset makes a crackling sound. The other was space pirate trainer and the sound was night and day different. Loud plenty of bass no crackling at all. I will try some other games tonight.

Just came here to chime in and say that I'm another unhappy customer that can confirm that the audio quality is pretty terrible on the Vive Pro (post firmware update and latest SteamVR beta).

I'm pretty sure it is a hardware design flaw because when I push hard on ear cups into my head and get them closer to my ears, the sound is significantly better and much of the missing bass is restored.

The best hack/workaround right now is to set your Audio settings to the Vive Multimedia output (not HDMI) and enable the Bass Boost enhancement.  It still sounds pretty bad.... just less bad.

Either HTC needs to do a recall on the headset or they need to provide us with some replacement ear pads or something that allow the speakers to get closer to our ears.

The trick "works", but with the loudness equalization, the volume drops on louder noises, the ones that usually have bass. So ya, we're still far from a real solution.

What's truly ironic is listening to the Only One King song from the announcement trailer. The song sounds great with almost any other speakers or headphones, but then it sounds like crap on the product it was used for advertisement. Did I say ironic, I meant sad.