Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

Mentalunicorn

wrote:

I have a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 and it doesn't work on mine.  I don't think it's a very good idea to suggest people go out and buy a new motherboard to solve a compatibility issue that blatantly needs to be handled by the manufacturer of the product.

whynotboth.jpg

The good or bad idea is wheather or not one chooses to act on it and it is subjective at that.  My Vive-pro starter kit came in before the system was built and the wireless 5 days after.  There is *nothing* on the system but drivers (updated), Win 10 (updated), Steam/Steam VR, Vive software and a smattering of VR games.  And the wireless worked fine as soon as I plugged it into the PCIEX4 slot.  If someone has time and $100 and thinks another motherboard may be the answer, they have the info.

On another note, our MBs are almost identical with the exception of the K7 being an Overclocker's board.  Plugging the WiGig card into PCIEX8 does not work - again, my guess is that it is related to the fact that it is sharing bandwidth with PCIEX16 which is certainly where the vid card is plugged in.  PCIEX4 worked fine - and I think I made a mistake in the last post - the PCIEX4 is a 2.0 slot...and the card works fine).

NOTE:  I contacted support *before* pre-ordering my wireless adapter and asked about the compatability of the PCI slots in the ax370 Gaming 5 (again, same config as the K7) and he said:

"Regarding your inquiry, I want you to know that the PCIe WiGig card is compatible with x4, x8, and x16, but personally, I would like to recommend you to connect it to the x16 or x8, as it will run a lot better. It might work in the x1 but we cannot assure you that it will work smoothly, nevertheless, you can use it with x4, x8, and x16."

Also, to try and provide more helpful info for your board - I was using the drivers that came with the MB and then updated to the current drivers (18.10.20 - we should have the *exact* same drivers for D/L from Gigabyte).  Both the old and the newest drivers were no problem for the WiGig and adapeter.

Specs (again):

Gigabyte GA-AX370 gaming 5

Ryzen 7 1700

16gb DDR3200

Samsung EVO 970 1TB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 8GB (D5X)

Win10

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentalunicorn

I have the same B350 board and ryxen5 1600 cpu  , if i go to accessories in the bios ( first column ) you can stipulate whether the pci-e slot is gen1 , gen2 or gen3  , please let me know if this helps as I'm pondering buying  a wireless etup too

Archived