Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

Mentalunicorn

Just had my first DPC_WATCHDOG BSoD after maybe 8 hours of total wireless play time.  It could be complete coincidence but I had just adjusted some performance settings in SteamVR.  Namely, put the resolution on manual and turned it up to 120% (recommended 58% which seems low for a GTX 1080 and 2700X CPU) and turned off interleaved reprojection.  Fired up SteamVR, clicked on my library to try a game and boom!
Unfortunately, battery is too drained to try to recreate with/without the performance tweaks to see if it's coincidence or casaul.

Prior to this I have had numerous freezes of the HMD, SteamVR or the Wireless card (haven't figured out which) resulting in the scene being replaced by a grey (or cyan since I can't see cyan) blank scene requiring multiple steamvr or headset restarts.  Perhaps those have all been lesser version of the same failure?

Ryzen 2700X, Asus ROG STRIX 1080, ASRock B450M-HDV, Vive Pro
Also potentially significant in case there's a commonality here: I'm on the October Update of Windows 10 (1809)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

be patient or request a refund and return it till they figure it out.

Yeah, I tried, but they refuse to pay shipping back to them, and since they want me to ship it to the US (I'm in Canada) the shipping cost will easily be $50 or more... So I'm out $50 due to their false advertising, or I gamble that they'll actually fix it.

i have 3 gaming comps all with AMD Ryzen 1200 CPU's. WiGig card not recognized by any of them! I just chatted with HTC this morning.  They know this is a major problem and told me they are working directly with AMD to figure it out. Doesnt really help us now, i know. Intel just doesnt like to talk to AMD CPU's. Changing mobo and chipset would be about $350. Seems like the only fast fix. Otherwise we wait for solutution from vive... UGH!

Not that we really need confirmation because it seems pretty clear at this point it's a Ryzen issues, but.. I replaced my MB and CPU with an Asus Prime B360 and i7-8700k, everything else remained the same, and the problem went away.

This is getting to be ridiculous and insulting that HTC is staying completely silent about this crap while a ton of people have unusable $300 adapters due to HTC's false advertisement. What a garabage company. I direct messaged one of the Vive reps on this thread a couple days ago and he apparently isn't feeling up to getting back to me. You gotta have impressively bad customer service when you got me thinking maybe dealing with Facebook for a nice VR experience isn't as unappealing as I thought. HTC, you suck at rectifying your mistakes and you have zero respect for the customers that you're currently ripping off.

I contacted support 3 times during troubleshoot. No issues on my end, all partied were courteous and helpful. At the end of the day we discovered I was part of this pool.

They have made responses to this post and are testing fixes. What more do you want from them in the current scenario? Did they mess up? yes. yes they did.

That being said its acknowledged and its being worked on.

9/10 the people you are talking to never had anything to do with the actual production of the device. I want this fixed too but im not gonna make some customer service guy's day hell because of someone else's mistake.

Return the device, or wait for the fix. Welcome to the magical world of first release products.

I know. You're right. I'm just venting my frustration. I just wish they weren't near silent on the matter. It's not like they've even acknowledged it in any official statement. It was acknowledged in this one thread by some dude presumably associated with HTC. To me it gives off the feeling that it's not really a top priority to get this fixed or even to just help keep those who are waiting a little more up to date. But ultimately what you're saying is the logical reality. And hopefully a fix arrives soon.

Just throwing in my specs a well because I'm getting a BSoD with AMD CPU.

-Threadripper 1900x 

-GTX 1080 Ti x2 SLi

-MSI X399 MoBo

No OC'ing. Never had a BSoD before installing the card.

At first I had the Card installed in an open x16 PCIe Slot but no Boot from MoBo with Code 94. Then I bought a x1 extender because the GPU Water blocks blocked the only x1 slots I had. Was able to boot. started Vive Wireless app and then paired, but within 10 second BSoD. Another weird thing that is happening is that after EVERY BSoD I have to reinstall SteamVR beacuse it uninstalls itself. This is nuts.