Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The patch seems to have improved the issue in the majority of cases we're tracking internally but clearly it is still unresolved in some instances. If you're still having an issue after the patch, we'd like to collect a SteamVR systems report as well as your HMD's serial number so we can access deeper troubleshooting options. If you are still affected, please post here or PM me and I'll send further instructions. We will continue to work to solve these issues. 

I'm sending you a PM with the instructions referenced above. 

From everything I've seen the majority of people are still having issues.  I think part of this is due to the headphones not sitting flush against many people's ears.  This makes the problem even worse.  Also, the headphones don't go down far enough for a lot of people (myself included).  It is physically impossible to get them to sit low on my ears unless I sacrifice comfort and loosen the top strap so much that the hmd pressure is all on my forehead.

Since the firmware update, the volume output for my headphones is drastically reduced.  Most games I have to turn it up full blast in SteamVR and with the buttons on the cans.  Even then it is just barely loud enough.  Might have to return this thing.  Love the screens and the comfort but this costs way too much for all of these design/software issues.

VibrantNebula, I truly appreciate that you're trying to help and I have sent in my SteamVR system report  and my serial number.

However, I don't appreciate this issue being marked as "solved" when a firmware update has only added a tiny bit of bass.  Again, if the Vive Pro's advertised audio details didn't include words like "powerful" and "true-to-life", I would not be complaining so much.  Also, if I was alone in thinking that there was still a very noticeable issue, I would stop as well.  However, even a reputable website has confirmed it.

So please, for the sake of good customer service, remove the "solved" until it's actually true.

Thank you.

Same here. Audio quality is slightly improved but still no where as good as it should be. Can someone at HTC indicate whether they plan on fixing this further because if they are not able to fix it further I need to return the headset. I have the old Vive with the DAS and that sounds great. I also have a PSVR with a similar 3rd party over the ear add on and that is also great. The Vive Pro audio pales in comparison.

Well, you  can add me to the list. I updated the firmware from the steam vr beta and can confirm it has improved a little, though nowhere where it should be. I mainly play racing sims and I really have to push the headphones against my ears to be able to hear any details of the idling engine. When I let go of the headphones all that detail gets lost and it becomes just noise. No satisfying roar when driving either. The headphones also cut out in the middle of the lap too btw. Had to reboot to get them working again. A restart of steamvr did not do the trick. I hope this is indeed a software issue and gets fixed soon. If not solved within 2 weeks I'm returning the vive pro. 

Updated to Steam VR Beta and updated FW.  Audio is still sub-par.  I don't know how this could be fixed without replacing the arms that hold the headphones to get better contact with the ear.   The curved design from the V1 audio strap is far superior.

I'll make this clear for anyone else reading. This issue is NOT resolved. HTC applied an EQ patch as a band aid but the headphones are not performing as advertised at all. They perform at the level of 5 dollar ear buds at best.