Nvidia has changed the render pipeline. Framedrops on Vive Pro 2+ RTX 4090.

55 minutes ago, kia75 said:

I'm still having the same issues with 120Hz 😞, Steam Beta didn't fix anything.  

Think this thread contains multiple issues at the same time now 😕 Some have issues with their 3000-series cards on vive pro 2, some are talking about vive pro 1.... Think their issues are "fixed" now. But the 4000-series gpu and vive pro2@120hz is still as broken as when this thread was started. (which is what this was about in the first place?). Would be nice if HTC could comment the situation/status. @C.T.?

4090+Vive Pro2 here. I live with 3090 (works perfect) and turn my 4090 to PC from time to time for testing. (Which I buy 5 month ago and still can't use, thanks HTC)

So.

SteamVR beta 1.25.4, Vive Console beta 2.1.23.2, last nv drivers 531.18 (clean install thru DDU).

120Hz mode.

Screen tearing and world lag is horrible. Nothing has changed.

Edited by MMt

Ok, so it seems Vive Pro 2 @ 120hz is still broken. But I'd like to confirm if 90hz is good for everyone with 4080/4090 and Vive Pro 2....?

Please tell us if you have the latest SteamVR beta and vive console software.

We have @wonderblistersaying 90hz works.

@MMtsays 120hz is broken, but have you tried 90hz recently?

@VSK"confirms" latest update fixed something, but is this 90hz only, or also 120hz?

It would be good if you can all confirm 90hz is "problem free". Or if it stutters etc. Also if Afterburner or any system monitoring software is known to give you issues, and if so, does turning those off fix the problems entirely? etc.

Thankyou in advance for any info you can provide.

@sneaky90Hz works much better than 120. But still I have some huge stutters 1-2 times per minute, which I don't have on 3090. But may be it's new NV driver problem, I don't know. I need 120Hz, so I sit on 3090, I don't know how 90Hz behaves on different NV driver... I checked lastest 531.18

On 3/5/2023 at 8:37 PM, wonderblister said:

The 90hz mode on the VIVE PRO 2 is fine with the RTX 4090 though. I had to start quiting RTSS/MSI Afterburner whenever I'm in VR to fix the stuttering/frametimes and dropped frames.

Not sure how but even on 90hz mode with the latest drivers, steamvr beta and vive console beta I am getting a weird lag thats causing major motion sickness that wasn't there before. On top of that I am dropping frames at least 1-2 per minute just in steamvr home.

This is on a 4090 with a 13900k

For some reason I am not able to edit my above post? I meant to say that I was on SteamVR Beta, latest Nvidia drivers but not on the vive console beta.

Also I am curious as to what steamvr is setting everyones 150% resolution to? Even if I set my preset to "balanced" in vive console, steamvr tries to set my resolution per eye to something like 6000x6000 which makes it difficult to test since you have to fix it and reboot steamvr every time.

12 hours ago, Oninaig said:

For some reason I am not able to edit my above post? I meant to say that I was on SteamVR Beta, latest Nvidia drivers but not on the vive console beta.

Also I am curious as to what steamvr is setting everyones 150% resolution to? Even if I set my preset to "balanced" in vive console, steamvr tries to set my resolution per eye to something like 6000x6000 which makes it difficult to test since you have to fix it and reboot steamvr every time.

So you have to actually run the VR headset at a higher resolutionthen the panel, roughly ~150% more due to barrel distortion and all that, but IME, most non-valve headsets already send the barrel distorted information to Valve and you should run at 100% instead of 150%.  I run SteamVR at 100% and get roughly ~4800x4800 per eye at 90HZ.  Since the resolution of the screen on the Vive Pro 2 is 2400x2400, that's roughly 200% barrel distortion, and it seems like 6000x6000 is an amazing 250% over resolution.  

Try 100% and see if you can notice any visual differences, IME, I don't see any visual benefit from running at 6000x6000 but I do notice that framerates are higher at 4800x4800.  

And if I'm wrong about anything, feel free to correct me, It's difficult finding information about what Vive Pro 2 resolution to use in SteamVR.